I agree. I think they wanted so much to make him different that they turned him into another character. You can't change the core of a character. It would be like turning Bruce into a sweet and goody two-shoes. Inconceivable.

Superman fans are fans because they liked him as he was. Superman has always been known as a boy scout. Clark has always been a mild mannered reporter and the kind son of Kansas's farmers. The most powerful being on the planet that uses his powers for the good. Now they took away his powers, his personality, his job, his life... What is left? A foul mouthed bad boy that isn't even super anymore. Who cares about somebody like this? razz He is completely out of character.

I guess DC realized they were losing loyal readers and decided to bring back storylines that long time fans want to read. The New 52 version is so out of character that they don't know what to do with it. As you said, it just gets worse. You can't change the personality of a character as if it were a piece of cloth. It destroyed the New 52 version and I think the damage is irreversible. If they bring good storylines with the Superman that fans know and love, the New 52 will be forgotten. I'm not crazy about the beard, but if the story is good I'll overlook that detail.

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15