“All those times I could have been saving lives,” he continues relentlessly,” but I let them die because I was too busy protecting a life that didn’t even really exist. You were right in your article, Lois. You said the world needed Superman.” He lets out a shuddering breath and his eyes flutter closed to hide whatever it is (anguish, resignation, defeat) smoldering in their clouded depths. And then he drives in the final nail. “But it doesn’t need Clark Kent.”
mecry whinging cry Aargh...I knew this line was coming, and I cried again anyway! Darn it! This is just devastating - that he can't see that Clark needs to exist so that he can be Superman, that his life as Clark is what emotionally grounds him and allows him to don the persona. Lois murdered Clark with that article, stole the stability of his Clark life - now she can see the true consequences of her actions. Heartbreaking (but so well done!). thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink