Originally Posted by groobie
Originally Posted by KenJ
and we can't have that
Well, the beauty of fanfic is that we can. The reality of the law in our country is that she can.

What indication do we ever have, up until season 4, that would lead someone to believe that Lois wants a child? From the beginning, she's presented as a career - driven woman of the '90s who came from a broken home. She can't even keep a plant alive. In this story, she was raped one month ago, and it will take a lot longer than a month to process those feelings. She slept with Clark once - she's really just getting to know him. Tell her that she might be having an alien baby and she'll more likely have nightmares than fantasies.

Point is, I could easily believe that Lois would terminate this pregnancy in this story's situation. I could easily also believe that she'd make a different choice. The lady or the tiger? wink That's why I really like this story - it's balanced on a very interesting question.

Wow, thanks. Glad you like the premise of the storyline. The beauty is, Lois can be 100% certain of her decision and then make a different choice. She can be ready to abort and change her mind last second. She can decide to keep the baby, find out it's Luthor's, then give it up. She can decide to adopt out the baby, see it for the first time, then decide she can't part with it.

I think we *do* get *small* glimpses into Lois' innate desire to one day be a mother in the series. She might hate the way things are going with Aimee in Smart Kids, but there's a genuine, almost motherly caring for the kid there too, and I do think Lois was genuinely sad to give her back at the end of the episode. And the way Lois held baby Clark in Tempus, Fugitive - granted, she's holding the love of her life as an infant - but there's a very "new mother" fear mixed with tenderness there.

She might not want a child at that very moment - career and Pulitzer desire and all - but I believe there was always that (albeit, distant) desire to one day have a husband and child(ren).

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon