You didn’t know that about me, did you? It felt like a silent taunt inside her head. Almost as if he’d said it aloud, though he hadn’t.
I love that. Love that this is probably *exactly* what he's thinking, and that Lois picks up on it.

He tightened his grip on her, feeling the soft cotton fabric under his palm. His Midwest U sweatshirt. How ironic that she was wearing that, especially tonight of all nights.
Yup. God, I love irony! goofy

“Pakistan?” She sounded utterly taken aback. Well, it would be interesting to see how long would it take for the penny to drop.
/me wonders if the penny's worth more being dropped in Pakistan...

She was watching him, lips slightly parted, eyes wide in shock.

Good. Maybe she was learning something about what his life was like.
But, Clark... she already knows this... more than you know. frown She just didn't know the magnitude of it all.

It was painful for him to be back here. That was obvious now as he picked her up again; his jaw was set and he seemed to be avoiding looking at anything in particular. Was he remembering all those people he’d failed to save? All those cries for help he couldn’t answer?
Oh, god!! whinging And just... I love that Lois can see this. Of course she can. frown

And still she had no idea how Superman did it.
/me lets out a choked whisper... it's because of you, Lois!! You're the one who keeps him going. Without you... he wouldn't be able to. He'd burn out. Quickly. frown

“It’s not all fast action, swooping in, performing dramatic rescues, saving everyone,” he said quietly. “Sometimes it’s just like that. No matter what you do, it’s never enough. People die, no matter how hard I try. There’s never enough time to save even a fraction of those who need me.”
This moment is... well, I don't really know what to say, but I thought it should be pointed out. frown

She was silent for a while. Then, slowly, she said, “But without your help, Superman, many more would’ve died. Or been horribly injured. You have to know that.”
And there it is, Lois. That's how he does it. smile

She didn’t know him at all. Hadn’t a clue what his life was like. Had no idea what he went through day after day.
Yeah, but even so, Clark... she helps you through it. Maybe even more than you realize.

“It’s not all about the flying and the heroics, Lois. My life. It’s... sometimes it’s just dealing with one tragedy after another. Ever met a burned-out firefighter or cop or soldier? Ever thought what it must be like to live with someone like that?”
Bah! But you know what the difference is between you and them, Clark? (Well, in most cases...) They have family who keep them from falling apart. And all you're doing is just proving to Lois that Superman *does* need someone...

But on the other hand, Lois had never seen him immediately after he’d been helping at something like that earthquake. Even as Clark.
Ack! Those last three words just kill me. They say so much! How much he really hides. How *really* alone he is. And wow.

Again, she was silent for a long time. And then, finally, she said, “You really think I’m that shallow? You really think that I never realised this is the sort of stuff you face? You really think that by showing me this you’re going to scare me out of loving you?” She shoved at his shoulders. “I think you’re the one who doesn’t know me, Superman.”
Hah!! She's got you there, Clark! /me whispers to Clark... you're almost fighting the wrong battle, buddy. wink

...tbc
What's this "tbc" crap about? frown

How much do you love me, Wendy? *uses the puppy dog eyes* frown

Sara

EDIT: Not that I'm complaining... but... just consider that sad, pathetic nagging for part three, then, will ya? wink

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.