I've usually have Lois refer to her father as "Daddy" but only when speaking to him (because she did on the show). Otherwise she refers to him as her "father", not "Dad" as that implies a closer relationship. Doesn't he call her "Princess" or something equally horrible?

I haven't seen this in RL. Often you see it in American films or television shows where the rich (usually) fathers call their daughters "Princess" and the spoiled daughters who can get anything they want out of their fathers "Daddy". Personally, I think it's insulting to both parties to imply that the daughter never grew up and to treat her accordingly.

The worse use of the name "Daddy" is by Marilyn Monroe in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (which we just watched last week). Love the film (especially Jane Russell), hate that THIS is the name Marilyn's character calls her *boyfriend*. dizzy razz

EDIT: In full disclosure, I do sometimes call my husband "Daddy" but only because that's what the kids call him. My daughter is 9, my son 6. Usually, I call him by his given name, though. But I would *never* call my father "Daddy" unless being silly or sarcastic. He's "Dad".

Last edited by VirginiaR; 05/19/14 05:28 PM. Reason: Added note.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.