Oh my God! What a great part! The tension become unbearable. You referreed to the clock many times in that part, and it's just built up the tension even more, as if we can see the countdown.

No, Luthor was really worried.

“Yes?” Still, he wasn’t about to be friendly. Not with this man - this murdering gangster masquerading as a philanthropist businessman.

“How is Lois? You’ve seen her?” Yes, there was definite anxiety there.

Clark schooled his features. “She’s coping. As you’d expect from a strong, determined woman like Lois Lane. She’s not letting this get her down.”

“I’m not surprised. Lois is... extraordinary.” Luthor sighed. “I want to help, Superman. I’ll do anything I can. All my resources - my entire fortune is at her disposal. Please tell her that.”

The man actually meant it. This was a person who could callously, brutally end the life of a former lover, just because she’d outlived her usefulness to him. Oh, he had no proof that Luthor had killed Antoinette Baines, but he’d bet anything on it. And yet Luthor was willing to use everything he owned to save Lois’s life.

Clark shook his head. He’d never understand Lex Luthor.
What a great scene. The face to face of the two motal enemies, who are both worried for Lois. That scene made me think about the one, in the third season, when Lex talk with Clark in his apartment, just after he had lost Lois, to tell him that the clone want to kill her. They are united in their love for Lois.

Clark pulled his jaw back into place. Luthor admitting to having criminal contacts?
Yes! Luthor is a bad guy, and we love hate him, but he's not a devil, he's human and he can love. The fact that he was willing to admit to Superman he had criminal contacts, even if he take precautions to be sure Superman can't do anything with what he said, is just a proof of how much he loves Lois. What's better than a bad guy with real love in his heart?

Wendy, you're great. You transposed so well the Luthor's feelings, and only on a short scene of discussion with Superman. Powerful!

At least they were united in that. Though the thought that he and Luthor shared any kind of common aim at all made acid roil in his chest. Yet, much as he hated it, for the moment they were allies of a kind.
Oh! I really love that.

Kemp. Definitely a possibility. She stared at the passport-sized photo clipped to the front of the file. Close-cropped hair. Thin, weasely face. Too thin to be the face behind the mask? Hard to tell. Besides, wasn’t he still in prison? She made a note to have Jimmy, or Henderson’s men, check on that.

Or she could just ask Clark to fly over the prison. A semi-hysterical giggle escaped her.

Clark was Superman.

Why hadn’t he told her?
That was killing me. The lack of concentration from Lois is very well written. That's exactly how the mind works. You try to focus, but everything you thought made you go back to your previous thoughts.

And I like the fact that, even if her life is at stake, she can't help her to think about the revelation. It's so realistic! When you have a shock, it doesn't matter the urgency of the situation you are into, you ARE shocked! Very well done.

What we've got here is an example of human evolution: before and after. Clark is the before. Superman is the after. Make that way, way after.

No wonder he hadn’t told her.

He’d said she could yell at him later. By rights, he should be the one yelling at her.
I love that Lois is thinking that way. And that scene is for me a real breathe take in all the tension of the story, and I really needed one.

Immediately, the room spun around her. Her legs felt wobbly and her head woozy. Everything went out of focus. She flung her arms out, but had no idea where to reach for. She could feel herself swaying, losing all sense of balance, falling, the floor rising up to meet her...

And then she was safe, lying in strong, reassuring arms with Clark’s voice resounding in her head.
I love that! When all her world is shattering, she still can be safe in Clark's arms. the image is so sweet.

“Clark? What is it?” Lois was watching him, looking puzzled.

“Oh.” He’d just been standing there, his hand on the door, not moving. “Someone calling for Superman.”

“You have to go, then, don’t you?” She sounded alarmed.

He shook his head instantly. “Not today. I promised you I wouldn’t leave you, and I meant it.” But he could hear the sound of shouts, and frightened protests. Someone was being attacked.

“But that was before I knew... Clark, you have to go!” Now there was guilt in her voice.

“No.” He said it firmly, insistently. “Nothing today is as important as saving your life, Lois!”
Yeah! It's not a declaration of love, but the emotional impact is the same.

So much for her determination to save her own life. Right now she couldn’t even keep herself upright. She was useless. And Clark had to think so, too - of course, he was far too kind to say so, but he wasn’t stupid.
oh. I feel so bad for her. You write so well her despair: you don't say she is desperate but you describe the feeling she has because of this despair. She feels useless. She's dying, and she feels useless. I'm almost in tears, here.

“Later,” he said. “When you’re better, I promise, okay? And I’ll tell you anything you want to know about me too.

When she was better. Yeah, right. But he’d even managed to sound as if he meant it, too. Where would she be without Clark today?”
Good. I want her to survive, and I want him to say everything he knows about Luthor. And I want them together, happily in love... ( sigh )

Very good part for an awesome story. I'm waiting for more.