Originally posted by VirginiaR:
I do find it quite ironic that the reviewer decides to stick with ARROW instead of Superman, when -- having watched S1 -- Arrow has no problem with killing off henchmen right and left, where traditionally Superman avoids killing people, even baddies. True, Arrow hasn't killed 100,000 henchmen yet, but give him time... at his current rate of at least 20+ per episode, he'll be there soon enough.
I thought the reviewer said he'd rather watch Arrow to emphasize how grievous the problems are with Man of Steel. The movie is so bad that he'd rather watch something else that itself has massive problems. (I figure that I'm projecting my own feelings on the matter, though.) Of course Ollie's body count is deplorable, as is his insistence that he has some sort of moral high ground over people like Helena, but a major difference I see is in the scope of their hypocrisy. Ollie thinks he's saving the city despite being a mass-murderer, which is pretty horrible, but Superman is setting himself up as a moral authority for the entire world when all the evidence shows that the entire planet would have been better off without him.

He thinks that he's inherently better than humans and that it's his responsibility to "guide us into the light" or whatever because he's Kryptonian and has super powers. Then he causes mass destruction and mass casualties. His fight demonstrates that he doesn't care at all what happens to bystanders. He's willing to deliberately throw his opponent through an occupied building, doing enough damage to level it. Almost every decision that Kal-El makes runs counter to the long-established character. Even Golden Age Superman, who had no qualms with murdering henchmen by throwing them out a tenth-story window or shooting mad scientists with their own ray-guns, was not so callous as to cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people. The hubris is staggering.

On the other hand, maybe the reviewer just picked Arrow because it's the only DC TV show on right now. (It is, isn't it?)

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)