I came up with the idea for this vid a few weeks ago, but unfortunately didn't have the video to make it. Thanks to the generous auspices of our own Annette, I got all the video I needed. smile

When I got the video, though, I realized that I didn't really have a plan. So, I basically started slapping the whole thing together. Did it in 2 or 3 days, including coming back to give it at least a little polish.

Thanks to skfolc and psychofurball for Beta Viewing. I didn't take all of their suggestions, but each and every one was appreciated.

The end result? I'm not sure. Entertaining, I hope, but it's not "Rocky Raccoon" by a long shot.

The song is "Birdhouse In Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants. The video has captions, but if you want to see the lyrics first, you can find them here.

A few notes about the song...

I and at least one other person agree that the lyrics are probably about a nightlight, but even then they don't really make sense.

Actually, there's a book I read a few years back. I'm not certain, but I think it was "Spirts White As Lightning" by Mercedes Lackey. If not, it's one of the books in that series (Bedlam Bards). In the books, there are human mages living in our world, and there are elves who live in their own fairy worlds but sometimes come to our world for various reasons. There are good elves and there are evil elves.

In this particular scene, a human mage has been captured by an evil elven overlord (Kaylle challenges you to say that 5 times fast, BTW <g>). Sitting in his cage, he suddenly realizes that, even if there isn't anyone in the room with him, the evil elven overlord might have evil elven mages spying on his thoughts. So, he starts singing this song to himself. We're told that after this song, he continued on through the rest of the album and on to the next one.

Shortly thereafter, the evil elven overlord gets a report. His mages (who have, indeed, been spying on the prisoner's thoughts) are going mad. The prisoner seemed to have been casting some kind of arcane spell, but they couldn't figure out what it was. Trying to figure out what the words meant was driving them nuts, and, what's worse, they now all have it stuck in their heads.

So, be warned. It's that kind of a song. <g>

Still with me?

Okay, I've got a couple more notes.

A "Longines Symphonette" is, aparantly, a type of hand-held radio. I only just discovered this today while doing research to make captions. You can see a picture of one here.

Also, for those who don't know, the phrase "a bee in your bonnet" referrs to a persistent irritation. Something that really annoys you and keeps coming back to annoy you some more. It can also mean an idea you're obsessed with (usually in a way that's frustrating to you or others).

I think that about covers things. If, after everything I've said, you're still interested in seeing the video, you can find it in Windows Media Player format...

here.

Thanks to The FoLC Video Archive for hosting it. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.