Originally posted by LabRat:
Ah, that one is never a problem for me, Mouse. Quite the opposite in fact. I have a rather boring hospital appointment once a year that I always wish I'd taken a book to as I sit in the waiting room, but I never do because I worry that I'll do my usual trick of getting so engrossed in what I'm reading I'll block out the world and never hear my name called. goofy

but just the physicality of it makes it a bit quicker. I can hold and turn the pages with one hand and that, in itself, allows for a faster availability of the next page.
You know, I did wonder about that. If the fact that all I need to do to turn a page on the Kindle is twitch my thumb was a factor. Perhaps that and the fact that I can adjust the font for optimum reading, too, might factor in, rather than be slowed down by a small font at times.
Now the getting-so-into-it-I-literally-dont-hear-things bit I get. In fact, it drove my family bonkers, because I never remembered my mom telling me to switch out the laundry loads even though I was sitting right there. blush What I meant by saying it's harder to focus is that it's easier for me settle in with a book made of ink and paper than it is to flick through pages on my kindle. I know it doesn't make much sense, because the kindle is faster turning pages wise and I understand the whole changing font size issue (helpful to someone with wacky astigmatism)- but I like to hold the book.

Plus, I have a major issue with speed reading. In an intense scene, I tend to read without *really* reading. Once I'm done with the chapter, I like to be able to go back to where I started this annoying habit and really force myself to re-read the bits that I already read. It's not the same on the kindle, flicking through pages back and forth. huh Which is also why I've got two or three books on my kindle that I've yet to read, but I've put a pretty good dent into my Shakespeare volumes. laugh

But on the other hand, it makes annotating books for school *SO* much easier and I don't have to worry about book damages. So like I said, it's about even for me.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain