Interesting question. As the one who provoked this question, let me clarify laugh

Although, I'm 'God' when writing a story, I don't control the characters' choices any more than God controls our choices. After all, there's always that little thing called 'freedom of choice.' [so I couldn't vote in your poll since both answers are true for me laugh ]

In fact, in my current fic, I've actually been writing in my fights with the characters to try to get them to do what I want them to do. I will remove these fights once the fic is finished, but for the time being... Here is what these fights look like (keep in mind that I've removed comments that give away too much of the plot.):

FINALLY... THE END OF THE BEGINNING <g>

LOIS:
Who are you trying to kid, Thompson. This is the end of your stupid story. After all, here is what I think of your Clark Kent:
1. He [removed because it would act as a spoiler]: therefore, Kent is both violent and possessive;
2. He [removed because it would act as a spoiler]: therefore, Kent is a playboy; and
3. He [removed because it would act as a spoiler]: therefore, Kent is not to be trusted.
And you really expect me to fall in love with him? Okay, so he’s good looking, and maybe Gerry is right about him being great in bed, but the guy is a skum bag. Do you really hate me that much?

CLARK:
<Sigh> You know, Ms. Thompson, as much as I hate to say this, Lois is right. I hate my job. I don’t trust my boss. I’ve been charged with a crime I didn’t commit. And the woman I’ve fallen in love with thinks I’m the skum of the Earth. <sigh>
Look, this is nuts. I’m just going to put us all out of our misery.

[Here I actually write a section where Clark hands in his resignation to... well, whoever his boss is at the time and heads back to Kansas, effectively ending my story]

THE END

Lois let out a breath. “Don’t do me any favors, Kent. I don’t care if you stay in Metropolis. Just stay away from me.”

Clark looked up from where he was scuffing his foot against the floor. “What? No ‘this town isn’t big enough for the two of us’ stuff?”

Lois glared at him.

“Gee, thanks, Lois. So kind of you.”

“Then leave for all I care.”

“That’s exactly what I planned to do, before your grande declaration. But now that you seem to want me to stay sooo badly, how can I resist?”

“But... But... But...” Lois studdered.

“Take out the above section, Ms. Thompson. Lois wants me to stay.”

ML breathed a sigh of relief as she proceeded to do as instructed before Clark could change his mind.
ML wave (who isn't entirely certain she's not losing her mind laugh )

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane