When a PM is sent to me, I receive a mail that tells me to go and read the PM I received. Well, I don't see the differences between receive a mail to tell us we have a message, and receive the message in the mail. I receive a mail anyway, so I prefer to have directly the message...
That sounds like something you could switch off in your preferences, Poussin. Although, all forums are different, I guess. But usually getting an email confirmation of anything is something you can change in your personal settings. Might be worth taking a look at your profile and finding out.

On the Stargate forum I frequent it certainly is possible to disable the PM function from your own profile. You can also block PM's from certain individuals if you choose.

From this forum's FAQ:

What are private messages?

The administrators of this message board may permit members to send private messages to each other. A private message is not email. Private messages are one-to-one communications that can only be read by the recipient. You can read private messages in your profile section. You can also elect to be notified by email whenever someone sends you a private message (you can set this in your profile). You can also prevent anyone from sending you a private message (also configurable in your profile). Only registered members may send private messages. This option can be disabled by the board administrators.
Now whether that bold part means you can set it to block certain individuals from sending you a PM, or whether you can set it globally to prevent you getting PM's entirely...not sure.

Logically, you would imagine that if a forum gives you the option to show or hide your eddress on your posts, depending on whether you want other members to contact you or not, you'd get the same choice with PM. But then you can, of course, never guarantee that logic will apply with anything online. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers