In the end, I didn't vote. The thing is, I've used a variety of sources of inspiration.

Yes, I have consulted both baby name books and the phone directory in my time. However, I'm more likely to rely on inspiration, then go back and check whether or not my name makes sense given the character's personality than to go to those sources to look for inspiration in the first place.

I've named a few people after architects, too. Note, not famous architects -- just architects whose names I came across while going through archives in the course of my research. I'm not sure any of those have ever got into LnC stories, though.

I'm dabbling with an idea for an original story -- been plotting it on and off for the last two years, but haven't got more than 7,000 words written, if that -- and I've 'borrowed' a friend's surname for that. I wouldn't normally go anywhere near using friends' or acquaintances' names. However, in this case, the surname is pretty common and it suits the character perfectly. (I came up with the name, then realised it matched up with my friend, but decided to keep it anyway.)

LabRat: when I was a first year undergraduate, I was given a piece of coursework to do which involved a role play. I can't remember whether we had to write a campaigning letter about an international development problem as though we were working on behalf of an NGO or whether we were writing to the NGO. All I can remember was that I thought I'd come up with an original name for my character, then realised after I had handed the work in, and with a huge amount of embarrassment, that Adam Smith was actually rather well known, albeit also rather dead! I should have known better. blush

Suffice to say, the memory of that has made me rather careful about how to name characters. I'm sure I still get things wrong, but I don't ever want to make such a glaring gaff again.

Chris