Here in North Carolina, it used to be a rolling 4-year renewal, I think, but over the last decade they've moved over to every 5 years on your 5-count birthdays -- 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.

I got caught in the changeover <g> When I renewed my license in 1996, they gave me an age-related birthday expiration. But I was within two years of my next qualifying birthday, so they skipped that one, and gave me a license that expired in 2003. Back in 1996, that seemed like a loooooong way off <g>

(I know it was in '96, because I got pulled over for speeding which is when I realized that I'd forgotten to renew my previous license so I got ticketed for driving without a valid license, and then I had to go downtown to court, and I met Chris Mulder for lunch, and we talked about a story idea I had that eventually turned into "Crazy For You" but that wasn't really very good because right after that I got pregnant and had no energy, and my son was born in 1997. Whew smile )

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K