Poussin, I used your very helpful instructions above to rip the Pilot, but, like Jana, it won't play. (I am using the XVid codec.) The audio track is fine, it plays in Windows Media Player without a problem, but the video track won't play in either WMP or Real Player. Any ideas?
Nope. No ideas. I'm sorry. I really don't know. I use the software often enough, and I never had any trouble with the .avi file I obtain at the end. It's probably a codec problem, but If you have the codec to play Xvid, then I don't know. I NEVER had this problem with Fair use.

I don't remember precisely how Fair Use works with its temporary files, since I always delete them automatically to keeep only the final file I want, but I do know that other ripping software, as Shush for example, create separated video and audio files, and then put them together to have the final file. Look into your temporary files. If you do have separate audio and video files, you can try to put them together yourself. If you don't have separate files, well... i'm sorry, I really don't have any other ideas. I'll think about it, and try to find where the problem come from.

Also, the files that came out of the ripping process (eleven!) for this one episode equaled something like 4GB. Does that sound normal to you?
That sounds about right to me. The temporary files take as much place on your hard drive as they does on the DVD. It's more like 2Go for an average episode, but the pilot is a double episode, so 4Go sounds correct. No problem there. As for the eleven files, it's normal too. That is the nimber of files present on the DVD to play the episode. No problem there either.

Well, if I don't succeed to find where the problem come from, I hope someone else will be able to help you.