Thanks, Sas and Paul -- I'm trying those, but they don't seem to help. Problem is, when I sort a list of files (I use the "detail" view and sort by "date modified") from oldest to newest, it lists all the subfolders from oldest to newest, then all the files from oldest to newest. Except I have files dating back to '98 or '99, so to get to my new files, I have to scroll to the end of the flippin' list. If I switch the order around, from newest to oldest, then the recent files are right on top, but the subfolders have disappeared grumble

That's in My Documents, but Word seems to work the exact same way.

I have quite a complicated setup of folders and subfolders -- when I have an urge to read Nan Smith fic, for instance, I can go right to "C:\Documents and Settings\Pamela Jernigan\My Documents\Data1\fanfic\ByAuthors\Nan Smith" but then if I want to go back to the story I'm working on, I have to navigate up to Data1 and then down through Pamfic. Which also has a bunch of subfolders.

On Word 97, the folders were *always* on top of the list, no matter which way you sorted them... whinging

I think Microsoft is going to force me to change my whole way of thinking... I hate that.

edit: the "file location" thing in Word worked fine, Paul, thanks, and I should have remembered that one myself blush

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K