Carol, the names "Firefox and Chrome" only strike the hazy possibility of being browsers, otherwise I'm afraid, you lost me. I just use regular IE. Thank you though for your added thoughts.

Lynn, I have gotten adept at doing what I use the computer for daily along with a few other things but when it comes to most tech issues, forget it. I'm sorry you had a bad google experience. As I originally posted the reason I'm trying gmail is only because my yahoomail address which I had had forever, began sending out spam to all my contacts. Repeatedly changing passwords did nothing so I got rid of it.

Thanks for the IP explanation. I don't leave my computer on 24/7. Also, unfortunately, my DSL service is through At & T. I've had this for over 10 years and despite having a new pc--earlier this year--my modem is ancient. It's one of those that requires me to "establish a broadband connection" in order to surf the net.

Anyway, I appreciate all the help and advice.

Mona

P.S. I know it's only mid October-ish but we should (maybe) start our holiday card exchange list? I'd be glad to help with that btw. smile