Well, I read the comics in the nineties. There were four Superman comics then, Superman, The Adventures of Superman, Action Comics and Superman: The Man of Steel. For a while I read them all because of the romance between Lois and Clark Kent/Superman. But after a while there was also a fifth comic book, and it may be the one you refer to. I didn't read a single issue of it, because in that comic Lois didn't know that Superman and Clark Kent were the same person, she wasn't in love with Clark Kent, and she wasn't into any serious romance with Superman. This was not what I wanted for Lois and Clark. I think that the comic book was based on the Superman cartoon that you could probably see on American TV in the nineties. At least, I think it was meant to resemble the kind of superhero cartoons that you could see on TV at that time.

So if that is a nineties comic book I can't help you. On the other hand, the picture does remind me of a cartoon that I never got to see, which was much more 'adult' in its content than the usual cartoons. It was based on the nineties comic book bestseller about the Death and Return of Superman. In the original story Lois knew very well that Clark Kent was Superman, and she and Clark were engaged. Lois' love for Superman/Clark is very important for the story. The first picture you showed us might just possibly show how Superman says good-bye to Lois, possibly forever, as he is off to meet an enemy who is so ferocious that Superman will perhaps only be able to defeat him at the cost of his own life.

I'm sorry I can't say more than this to help you. Maybe you should contact Tank, who is a real comic book expert. If you go to the Fanfic folder and open the FDK thread for First Days in Metropolis - Parts 6 and 7, you will find that Tank has posted there. At the top of his post you can find a few icons, among them a drawing of two people shaking hands, with an envelope behind them. If you click on that icon, you can write a PM, a private message, to Tank, and ask him if he knows anything about your comic book.

Good luck!

Ann