What I don’t understand is that everyone agrees it is a sign of ignorance and prejudice to assume that being a Muslim equates to being anti-American, or to being a terrorist. If a reporter for a small-town conservative newspaper were to go into some local area mosque and find a few people with radical anti-American views, and use these quotes in a newspaper article with the intent of “proving” that Muslims are all terrorists, this would only be held up as proof of the reporter’s own prejudice. Indeed, the reporter would most probably be called an Islamophobe and a hate-monger. Why, then, does no-one find this report equally reprehensible? Why is it considered legitimate to seek out those who harbor racism, and portray them as representative? Why is this not hate-mongering? Where is the indignation at the author of this piece of garbage? How dare he set about, in all his self-righteous liberalism, to prove that the rest of American is racist, based on a few anecdotal stories and quotes?

[Note: before posting this, I happened to go back to the original thread, and read Michael's second post. I found it interesting that I am one of those you talk about, Michael. I did not pick up on the 12% figure cited. Your point is well taken. This article leaves one with the impression that America is a very racist nation indeed.]

Regarding the Bradley Effect, the media has only served to increase this problem. Voters who have valid reasons for not voting for Obama (reasons which have nothing to do with his race), know that if they admit they will not be voting for Obama, they will be falsely accused as racists.

One final comment – regarding the woman who is quoted as saying, "He's from Africa or something. I don't even know where he's from. I know he grew up here, but he's not from here. I think American presidents should be from America." The writer makes the snide comment that this woman may not be well informed, but her opinions are clear. Actually, the woman is probably better informed than the majority of voters in America. There is currently a suit in federal court, brought against Obama by a fellow Democrat during the primaries. The suit claims that there is reason to believe Obama was born in Kenya. It is interesting to note that the judge ordered Obama to submit a copy of his birth certificate. Rather than comply, Obama instead hired a legal firm to submit a motion to dismiss. I have no idea why he doesn’t simply submit his proof of citizenship, but it certainly does make it look like he has something to hide. And as far as the woman’s claim that “I think American presidents should be from America,” this is not an example of ignorant xenophobia, as the article would seem to suggest. Rather, that is exactly what the Constitution of the United States says. Article II, Section I, No person except a natural born Citizen … shall be eligible to the Office of President.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster