I'll pick things up on the DVD side (and old!) though I'd love thoughts on Mongol. I've been wanting to see that movie, but don't know if it's worth the money.

To follow with Del Toro The Orphanage was wonderful, for those who enjoy ghost stories. Creepy without gore. Profoundly disturbing and yet very beautifully shot. The plot involves a woman and her family moving into a haunted orphanage. Reminiscent of the Devil's Backbone, but a bit more mellow. The last part of the movie gave me the chills and the conclusion had me gasping.

I also picked up Persepolis this weekend. I found it to be very beautiful and moving. This one is about the coming of age of an Iranian girl in the midst of political turmoil. The fact that its animated really rescues it from cliches and overwroughtness. The highlight for me was the relationship between the girl and the grandmother, who was funny, independent-minded and had fierce convictions about right and wrong. And the scene where the girl is buying pop records from the black market is hilarious.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png