I recommend sitting on the couch, like I do.
Ha! goofy It was sitting on the sofa that got me here in the first place. I think I went straight from retirement to couch potato in one easy movement. laugh It's just a pity that the things I love to do - reading and watching DVDs - don't burn up the calories much.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. All very helpful.

I agree that swimming is the perfect exercise, but unfortunately, for various reasons, it's not possible right now. Which is a shame because I really loved swimming back in the day and we have a large sports complex with pool just five minutes walk away.

The elliptical trainer sounds ideal. Just perfect for what I need. But whether I can find one within my budget might be a problem. Certainly £200 to £700 is out of the question. Stuart would have a coronary. goofy But I'll speak to him about it anyway, see if we can find a cheaper option somewhere. Reading up on these, they definitely seem to be exactly what I need.

I've been thinking lately of doing a clearout and heading for the local car boot sale, so maybe I can fund or part-fund it with the proceeds.

Thanks again!

ETA: I'm starting to get a headache trying to figure out the best model to go for. Any recommendations? One with moveable arm bars would be best, I think.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers