Roger, although I don't live in San Diego anymore whinging , I was there for several years and have friends in the area, so I've been glued to various internet sites and the KUSI live feed over the past few days. My understanding is that only the birds and maybe some small animals were evacuated to the zoo. There was never talk about evacuating any of the large animals - officials said that they all had ponds in their enclosures and that there were firebreaks around the enclosures to prevent fire from entering. I believe that the only damage to the park was an empty condor breeding building.

We used to live in Carmel Valley (just inland from Del Mar) and I totally freaked out on Monday when I learned they were evacuating the area. That never even was a remote possibility during the Cedar Fire in 2003. So I went totally crazy Monday and Tuesday looking for news. I'm thrilled all is well there, although many homes remain in danger. The Witch fire is still totally out of control, the Harris only slightly more so. And the fire at Lake Arrowhead is also running rampant - it's so incredibly scary.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5