No, Carol, I didn't mean you. And yes, Olympe, I agree that there's something odd and ironic about the concert itself. That was actually my first thought when I heard about it. But I would hope that the organizers would know enough and care enough to do it right.

While there were a couple of posts in that thread that got me started, I wasn't writing about any one or two posts in specific. I'm talking general trends here. How certain people post... and how certain others don't. It's stuff I've been thinking about, that's been building for a while. That's part of why I gave it its own thread.

It's about how we communicate with each other and what we can do to communicate better. Not being afraid to talk because of the reaction you might provoke. Not being hesitant to talk because you don't think it'll make a difference. Not speaking up in a way that mocks and disrespects people whose viewpoint differs from your own. Those are the sorts of things I'd like to see changed.

I'd also like to hear what people think about this stuff. To learn and discuss and hammer out ideas and chew things over and all that good stuff that we don't really seem to be doing much of lately.

Let's talk about how we talk.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.