I've had Comcast Cable Internet for a few years now and have few complaints. The speed is good and they have relatively fixed IP addresses (they change very infrequently). They also give you a number of email addresses (can't remember how many since I use only 1) and some web space if you want. I'm pretty happy with them. You can also access your email from outside the cable network.

The cable goes down every once in a while. It was quite frequent a few years back (three or four times a month), but lately, it goes down maybe once every few months for a short time (couple of hours?), usually shortly after midnight. Makes me wonder if they're planned outages for maintenance because of the times and durations.

The only times I've needed to call support, they were actually helpful. They diagnosed a dead cable modem, so I went out and got another one. Problem fixed. I have my own, but you have the option of renting one from them, too.

So, I'd say I'm happy with them. The only restriction that irks me is the one against running servers, but I can understand why since you're sharing bandwidth with the neighbors. Shh, but I actually do run my own email/web/DNS/IRC/FTP server, but is so low traffic that if they do know about it, they don't care.

If you want to run a gaming server or something with serious traffic, then DSL is the way to go. It's slower and more expensive and usually less reliable, but if you want to run a server, you get DSL.

Bottom line, Paul, I would recommend Comcast Cable to you.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin