Okay. Area codes are large regions, the 2nd set of numbers are small areas, the last 4 are individual residences.

Everyone's covered pretty much everything else (which, personally, I found confusing, but it's also too early). However, there is now something called 10-digit-dialing. The Charlotte NC area has gotten too big for it's britches, so they overlayed a new area code on top of the old one. This means while I have a 704 area code, my neighbor might have the new one (680 or something like that). So now we have to dial area code + phone number, no 1. More and more areas are having to do this, as phone numbers run out. I'm not sure if this would be in effect anywhere during the show, though.

Alicia, I'm surprised you have to dial the 1 for such a small distance. Have you tried it without the 1? I know I can call South Carolina, 10 miles away, without the 1 in front of it. But that may be because of my extended local service. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited