I read this thread precisely because the title was so awkward. "Alot Scared"? Who says "alot scared"?

Reading the question, I was actually dubious that Lois had said she was "alot scared". I thought maybe Roo's memory was playing tricks on her. (Sorry, Roo! wink )

Even changing the phrase to "a lot scared", as Artemis suggested, didn't help. I just couldn't hear Lois saying that.

Until I read Stepper's post. That makes perfect sense. I agree with Stepper (and Laura). It was never intended to be grammatically correct; it was intended to be a play on words.

Which is not to say that we English-speakers don't slaughter our native tongue on a daily basis. I just don't think that was the case here. I think language, any language, is simply an amazing concept to begin with. The more languages I study, the more amazed I am. I have a profound respect for all languages, and a special place in my heart for my mother tongue, English. I am also fascinated with word games of all sorts. I actually find playing with words to be a way of paying homage to the language.

So, if Cat asked, "Weren't you even a little scared?", and Lois answered, "I was a lot scared", I don't cringe. I chuckle and say, "Go, Lois!" thumbsup

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster