Originally posted by Christina:
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b]
Originally posted by Marcus Rowland:
[b] Interesting idea, but of course she'd never be able to run for President. Knowing Lois, that would end up annoying her.
If Sam and/or Ellen were US citizens she could still have US citizenship, and therefore be qualified to be president, even if she never had lived here. I doubt Lois would want to be president, though. I see her as knowledge hungry, more than power hungry. [/b]
Yup, per the 1790 Naturalization Act, ANY child born of two United States citizens (or a United States citizen and anyone from the US territory like Puerto Rico) and has lived on US soil for at least a year is automatically a natural born citizen. There is also a later change that pretty much defines Barack Obama as a citizen regardless of the "birther"s statements as he was both born of at least one US citizen (unless they're somehow claiming that his MOTHER revoked her citizenship before he was born). [/b]
Anyone born in the United States is automatically a U.S. citizen, regardless of whether their parents are citizens or not (and in spite of what one of my geography-challenged students thinks, Hawaii is 1) a state and 2) really exists).

And now a new plot bunny has hopped into my head. I'd better go start a new thread about it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland