I have mixed feelings about outlines. It really depends on how many words I'm expecting a story to be. Anything that I'm expecting to be around 10,000 or less (and 10,000 is pushing it... more like 7500 or so) I just start with a story concept (It later gets turned into the reader's blurb about a story) and notes in blue about where I expect a scene is meant to go then I roughly fill in the blanks (I literally mean that as I leave about five lines between stories so that if I don't have my computer with me but my printed draft I can just free write and type it in later.)

For longer stories or story concepts ("For the Good of the Earth" in the non-LnC Superman story section comes to mind of stories that I have segments posted somewhere) I sit down and outline/"script-write" (meaning I just get the conversations down and basic direction meant to be re-written into a real story.)

I've had one or two stories morph from free-writing with direction/plot notes in text (usually written in blue so as not to distract while writing) into a story that really did need a separate outline. Usually I'll take what text I do have and create and outline of what I've already written (and what threads need to be fleshed out and resolved.)

With all of that said, I haven't written a story from beginning to finish that needed an outline... although I have a handful that are partially written that absolutely DO need the plotting. More often than not all of the stories that have an outline are not finished outlines OR stories. peep

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)