Mrs. Luthor and I were just talking Outlines and how to do them. I told her that normally I don't outline because I find it takes the drive for the story out of me and therefore my interest in the story dwindles if I write it down in summary format or outlines. (Now, you all know why my stories all make Moby Dick seem short.)

On the other hand, I had to outline my current story because of its complexity of jumping in and out and around canon dimension / timeline. So, I made that outline in as little detail as possible and in the format I was taught in school. Plus, while writing both Another Lois and Wrong Clark I've fallen off and added to this outline so many times, I've lost count.

So, do YOU outline? If so, what form does it take? Summary? Outline format? Notes? Something else entirely? Do you have any advice for someone who wants to plot out their story in an outline? How strict are you at sticking to it?

If you don't outline, why not? How do you plot out your stories?

I, personally, do it inside my head... which would explain a lot about my crazy stories. For Green-Eyed Monster I challenged myself and my characters: could I take the LnC Daily Planet staff and put them into a completely different environment (here, service sector or blue collar jobs) and still have it work. I had no plot when I started writing (see note above about crazy stories), and my characters stepped up to the task. I, of course, did fail at trying to keep the story under 10 parts. :rolleyes: (That was my part of the challenge, keep under 10 parts. I believe the final count was a 37 parts, an epilogue, a 20 part sequel...)

Oh, and if I've completely lost you, I refer to my muse as "my characters". wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.