Yes, and since some odd people all over the world still tend to take Latin, she might be able to converse some basic things in that language. (Btw, I am one of those odd people.) Although modern expressions like purse or toilet or cab are most definitely out. Oh, imagine the fun with Lois trying to get something across in Latin (and mixing up all the suffixes Latin is so famous for)!

What surprises me, though, is that the US don't make at least one foreign language mandatory. Here in Germany, when I went to school, people had to take at least one foreign language, two for the best possible kind of school leaving certificate (Abitur). The first foreign language was taught from 5th grade to 10th (at least), and a second was offered - in my school mandatory - in 7th grade. We could take a third foreign language in 9th grade and a 4th in 11th.

The first foreign language (in my part of Germany) is usually English, followed by French or Latin.

By now, children have to take their first foreign language (at least 90% English) at 1st or 3rd grade (depending on the state). Here, it's the second half of 1st grade by now. Second foreign language starts in 6th grade now, but I'm not sure if it's mandatory in all schools. The third foreign language is offered in 8th grade, and the 4th in 10th or 11th. (Not sure about that.) Plus, in order to graduate, you have to graduate in English, German and Maths now. (Plus some other subject, probably of your choice.)

Personally, I had to take English from 5th grade, could choose between Latin and French in 7th grade (I took Latin), and there was another option to start French in 9th grade (which I did) and Spanish in 11th grade (which I didn't).

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)