So to judge by the fanfic I have read, you are not alone.
I do think there's a difference between doing it consciously and unconsciously though. Neither is wrong, I've done both in the past myself, but I think the type of thing you're describing Lynn is often done subconsciously without the author noticing it, rather than being a conscious choice to reuse material.

I know that I have a very bad habit of getting a favourite phrase or word into my head and then using it more than once until I have to stop myself. laugh There was a phase during some of my very early writing when every one of my heroines happened to have whiskey-coloured eyes. goofy

It's often difficult to notice you're doing it when you're the one doing the writing, simply because you're too close to it. It's usually, as you say, Lynn, clearer when you read a few stories back to back.

But it's not just fanfic. I've seen the same thing occur time and again in novels - again, its especially noticeable when you read a series back to back, rather than over the years.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers