As long as it means you're writing... it's all good wink .

One possibility is regarding slavery. The original document had a passage [or two? I forget] quite condemning it. Keep in mind it was written by Jefferson, a slave owner himself, who may have planned to free his slaves not long after but, for whatever reason did not. He is also famous for having an affair with one of his slaves - Sally Heming.

The rest of the South was entirely opposed to the passage and demanded that it be removed or they would vote against independence. Unanimity was required so there had to be some agreement.

Ben Franklin, an ardent abolitionist, pointed out to both Jefferson and Adams [who strongly opposed taking the clause out], that freedom had to be their primary concern and slavery could be dealt with at a later date. Without freedom from England, the issue of slavery etc was a moot point. It's a baby with the bathwater thing [no he didn't say that wink ].

To go with your health care analogy, it would be like today's Dems saying 'we'll take what we can get and get universal health care later'.

The movie 1776 is a fairly decent [not entirely accurate but what 'historical' movie is?] depiction of the debate if you can find a copy or the script somewhere. I'd loan it to you but we're not exactly neighbors wink .

FWIW, here's part of the exchange [taken from imdb so... Rutledge is one of the delegates from S. Carolina]:

John Adams: [stands and approaches him] What is it you want, Rutledge?

Edward Rutledge: Remove the offending passage from your Declaration.

John Adams: If we did that, we would be guilty of what we ourselves are rebelling against.

Edward Rutledge: Nevertheless... remove it, or South Carolina will bury, now and forever, your dream of independence.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin: John? I beg you consider what you're doing.

John Adams: Mark me, Franklin... if we give in on this issue, posterity will never forgive us.

Dr. Benjamin Franklin: That's probably true, but we won't hear a thing, we'll be long gone. Besides, what would posterity think we were? Demi-gods? We're men, no more no less, trying to get a nation started against greater odds than a more generous God would have allowed. First things first, John. Independence; America. If we don't secure that, what difference will the rest make?

John Adams: [long pause] Jefferson, say something.

Thomas Jefferson: What else is there to do?

John Adams: Well, man, you're the one that wrote it.

Thomas Jefferson: I *wrote* ALL of it, Mr. Adams. [stands and goes to the Declaration, crosses out the clause]