As a reader, I'm not sure I have a preference, genre-wise, between the three. I like Elseworlds because playing with universes is fun. I like alt-beginnings because there are so many delicious possibilities. The show created such terrific potential, and they couldn't possibly explore all the variations. And I'm quite fond of burgeoning romance/revelation stories, and those elements are usually found in alt-beginnings.

I like alt-Clark stories because I want the poor guy to finally get a happy ending. People have written wonderful wonderful stories in all categories.

As a writer, Elseworlds might be my favorite. There's a lot more freedom there. I was just re-reading Hearts United, and it was fun to create that universe. Hearts Divided was the longest thing I've ever written, and Tryst is second, and they're both elseworlds.

Actually, if I have a least favorite genre, it would be one in which absolutely everything is canon. What fun is that? At least during the time period of the show; alt-Clark stories are usually canon but there's not a lot of details there so there's still a degree of freedom. And post-S4 stuff is canon, albeit with a whole lot more established backstory to work with.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K