This idea of "Well, you see, I didn't actually have any writing talent, so I couldn't write or post any stories of my own, so I just figured no one would mind if I took other people's and posted them instead and I'm really surprised to find out that's considered a bad thing to do."

I mean where does that kind of thinking come from? [Eek!]
As I was reading this again a thought struck -- wonder if some of the cases aren't writers at all, but in their group, it's cool/common to have stories on ff.net. Since they can't write their own, they pick something else and put their name on it. The story's not the important thing, and there's none of the satisfaction *we* have in getting feedback on our hard work -- but what is important is that the person has now posted *something* and is thus one of the cool kids. The peer pressure is focused on participation, not originality. The number of reviews is a status thing, so numbers are all that matter, not content. huh

Okay, it's hard to imagine fanfic-writing being that cool <g> but if all your friends are doing it...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K