I think part of the problem with crossovers is the reader not being a viewer of the other show the story tends to make no sense. They have no reference point for the crossover characters or their story lines.

I, for one, do not watch or did not watch Stargate, Buffy, Heroes, Sliders etc. Also if it is a show from a premium cable channel (HBO etc) i don't get them so obviously I don't watch their shows. I limit the number of shows that must be watched every week to 1 - 3 a season. Why? Because I found my life being dictated too much by TV. I also found that after a couple of seasons I got bored with those types of shows. Like Desperate Housewives, when it started it was one of my 1-3 that I watched. After the first 2 seasons I found I just didn't care for the story lines. They just fell out of the range of possibilities for a small neighborhood street and I just felt they were reaching to keep the show going. I no longer watch it.

So I generally don't read crossover stories because the story generally doesn't make sense with my lack of knowledge of the crossover characters.