Originally posted by Wendymr:
But the professor who wants to ignore atrocities such as "misspelt" is a disgrace to the educational system.
Um, 'misspelt' is a correct spelling, by the grounds you yourself allow to be legitimate: it is a British English spelling. dizzy -t is a way of forming past tense in British English:

- knelt
- spelt
- dwelt
- spoilt
- learnt
- burnt
- spelt
- smelt

For further evidence, you might like to check this entry .

Wendy smile
Wendy, that's why I said
I don't even pronounce a "t" when I say "misspelled" out loud (although, I don't know if other accents do create a "t" in the word).
I didn't know if it was legitimate in another form of English or not. You have to realize, where I live, people drop first and last letters of words, and change sounds to sound gangsta-thug and be cool. It irks me, because I find nothing cool about gangs. I think it's more in the way they pronounce it though, because I see nothing "gangsta" about British English. laugh

So, thank you for pointing out it is a correct spelling in the UK. I'm not familiar enough with other forms of English to know all of the differences. It would definitely be an incorrect spelling here in America, though.