(so be kind when you beta a Canadian Writer!)
When I beta or GE, I always try to find out if the writer wants to use British or English spellings and so correct accordingly. I’m not sure I think it’s good practice to use both in the same story. But then I tend to always use behaviour instead of behavior but thank goodness my spell checker catches it...

I try to edit what I type here, but I can't promise to always use the American spelling. I already don't always use the correct form in my everyday life.
I wouldn’t worry about that smileyd. You shouldn’t feel that you have to use American spellings on the board. Use what you are comfortable with. You also shouldn’t feel that you have to use American spellings in fanfic either. Again, use what you are comfortable with - just try to be consistent. I’m pretty sure most people on this board are fine with either spelling. smile

Pretty soon they will petition that math be up to the user too.
It all depends on which base you use, doesn’t it? Isn’t it a good thing that the world has managed to get it together so that everyone uses base 10 - 23 means two 10’s and 3 ones therefore you write 23, but in base 5 you wouldn’t write ‘23’. It would four 5’s plus 3 ones therefore you’d write 43. And what if we all used base 2 (binary) like computers use? (23 in binary is: 10111.) :rolleyes:

Hmmm. Thread wander alert! I don't think I correct non-American spellings of English. Or I try not to, because those spellings are valid I think. Do you guys when you beta?
Nope. See above...

If an author has Lois saying "Too right" or Clark moving a lorry away from an accident, that's going to get flagged. But unless I've gotten the high sign from the writer to correct English spelling to American, I'm not going to flag "flavour" or "metre" or such.
That’s what I do, too. What I’ve recently found interesting though is that some Americans are starting to use ‘flat’ for an apartment. Very curious indeed.

'misspelt' is a correct spelling, by the grounds you yourself allow to be legitimate:
I’m glad you said that because I was thinking it was a correct alternate, too, and was beginning to think my spelling skills had gone off the deep end. That would have been bad since I’ve always been a very good speller. I use my spellcheck but usually what it finds it mistyping. At work, I frequently use the word: appropriately. And for some reason I nearly always have to back space to correct it because I spell it: approrpiately. I drive myself nuts with that. Another common one that I often see medical folks mistyping is: patient. ‘Patinet’ is often typed instead.

Very interesting thread.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~