I;m loving this thread

not just because I'm actually learning about the speed of sound and sound barriers with Mach speeds etc.

but because I love it when I see Imperial vs metric measurements....

One thing I find IRONIC about the US is their insistence in using imperial measurements (miles/Gallon/Fahrenheit etc.), which is ironic due to their historical schism with England (i.e. the W.o. Independence) and subsequent affiliation with the French (who invented the metric system)

this irony can be seen clearly with the US Billion (7 digits) vs the UK Billion (12 digits) as this is linked to the metric and decimal systems.... however they insist on using the imperial measurements
wink

Only added this aside because I noticed that although the rest of you wrote in terms of Miles p/min
I wrote in terms of Metres p/second
and yet we all used a lower-case m to represent both Miles and Metres

Beethoven
who has a strange suspicion that one of either Miles or Metres SHOULD be abbreviated with an uppercase letter in order to differentiate... and I have a susspicion that it would be Miles as I think when comparing "mpm vs. Mpm" (when minute is abbreviated to m not min) then Mpm looks better...
however as usual I am not bothered to look this up so could very easily be wrong

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?