The only relatives I can think of off the top of my head are her parents and sister. I did a quick scan of Wikipedia and found this:

In the Golden Age comics, Lois also had a niece named Susie Tompkins, whose main trait was getting into trouble by telling exaggerated tall tales and fibs to adults. Susie's last appearance was in 1955; subsequent comics presented Lois' only sibling, Lucy, as single and childless.
I couldn't find any mention of aunts or uncles.

I don't really have any experience with the foster care system, but based on my limited legal background, I'd venture to guess there are some similarities between states. If somebody could enlighten you about those, you could make up the rest.

Big city apartment prices are going to vary depending on the city. I've lived in Seattle, Louisville, and the LA-ish area, so I can give you numbers for those.

In Seattle my apt was about what you're talking about. It was a 2 br, 1 bath, with about 800 square feet for $850/month. It definitely wasn't infested with anything, but it was an older building with no bells and whistles, ie no pool, security, etc. It was a block off a main road, about half way between a rough neighborhood and a kinda swanky one. It came with all appliances, (dishwasher, fridge, etc.) except laundry which was a separate facility in the building where the machines ate quarters.

The Louisville apt was much nicer, in a community with a pool, clubhouse, etc, but the midwest is cheaper so it was $700/month for a 1 br, 1 bath, 700 square feet. This came with all appliances, including an in-unit washer/dryer.

My apartment in Orange is closer to the Seattle one. It's a 3 br, 2 1/4 bath, with about 950 square feet for $1500/month. Again, no infestation or drive-bys to speak of, but the neighboorhood is only a couple blocks from a commercial area, it's an older building, and there's no pool, security, etc. It didn't come with ANY appliances, though. No dishwasher (I've discovered I hate doing them by hand!) or fridge (my roommates bought one), and the laundry is a community quarter-eater.

If the apartment is in Metropolis it's probably closer to New York City pricing, which is significantly higher. I'd guess a decent 2 br would run at least $2000, but I've never lived there so I'm not really sure.

According to Salary.com, a photographer in NY makes about $50k-$75k.

Hopefully some of that helped. smile

~Anna