Interesting questions, Mary. Very... interesting.

1. By the time the kosher butcher is done... none. It's the law.

While it's still alive? Uhm... a lot. Let's see...

According to this page , "A cow's heart weighs about 5lbs and pumps 400 pints of blood through the udder to produce 1 pint of milk. That means nearly 10,000 pints of blood are pumped through a cow's udder daily to produce 3 gallons of milk." Not quite what we were looking for, though.

The same page says that "A cow weighs about 1400lbs."

And according to this page , a cow's body is 5-6% blood by weight. 5% of 1400 is 70lbs.

According to this page , the density of blood is about 1060 kg/m^3. 70lbs are about 32kg. Divide that. Convert from m^3 to gallons (thank you, onlineconversion.com). And you get... about 8 gallons.

2. The pope is an important figure and a very busy man. With a schedule that's often timed to the minute. To get in to see him, you'd need to fight through an entire city's worth of red tape to get an appointment. He also has very tight security.

3. I'm not sure. I don't think so. I guess it would depend on where the damage was. Offhand, I'd say possible, but not likely. It's not on this list of common causes of fever . Unfortunately, most hits involving "brain damage" and "fever" are about potential damage caused by high fever rather than the other way around.

4. Blood is high in energy and rich in protein. It is one of the most nutritious substances in the body, including a lot of pre-digested material (all the good stuff extracted from your food goes directly into the bloodstream from the digestive tract). Everything important to feed your cells is right there. It's also liquid (easy to rapidly consume) and can be found pretty much anywhere in the body. Also, those proteins (such as hemoglobin) can be hard to make, and to make right, yet they're vital to survival. That makes them attractive targets for theft.

5. John Lennon was shot Dec 8, 1980.

He wore these specific glasses from 1970-1973. I'm not sure if they were his first pair, but I don't think he had them much earlier than that.

6. I know you. Of course I'm frightened.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.