Okay, I'm a little hesitant to post this because... Well, I'm about to show just how much of a grammar dummy I am, but... Well, surely I'm not really the only one. Okay, so here goes... (wish me luck blush )

I always try to read all the grammar questions posted on these boards, because I figure that if I could just learn grammar, I could improve my writing. Anyway, having said that, and given the brilliant grammarians (is that even a word?) we have here, I was wondering if anyone would be up for trying a little game (for the grammar idiots like me who are out here).

Now, one of my big problems is that often when trying to explain grammar, people will talk about things like... Let me give you an example. From the comma thread, I’ll start with a quote from the very first post. Artemis wrote:

The comma (,) is used after an adverbial dependent clause when the dependent clause precedes the main clause.
Things like that, while I assume they are very useful, leave me scratching my head and saying, ‘What the hell is an adverbial dependent clause?' So... what to do?

Now, do any of you remember when you were in grade three or four and the teacher would write a sentence on the blackboard and then instruct the students to tell all the parts of the sentence?

Example:

Clark ran fast.

Okay, now let’s see if I can remember this (remember the title of the thread so don’t laugh if I get it wrong - and no, I’m not joking blush ):

Clark - noun (also the subject)
Ran - verb - past tense.
Fast... uhh... okay, object? Also... adjective? Or... uhh... adverb? No, adjective... I think. Or... maybe not blush .

(As you can see, I need a lot of help blush )

All right, so if anyone out there is interested in this game, this is how it would work. A person would post a sentence. The next person would come along and dissect the sentence and then, post a new sentence.

Now, as you can see, at least for grammar dummies like me, it would be nice to start fairly simply. But... Well, what are compound verbs and past perfect tenses and adverbial dependent clauses and... well, whatever else you can think of? Who are the truly brilliant grammarians among us? (I can tell you right now it isn’t me blush ).

So... what do you think? Anyone out there interested in seeing if we can all improve our grammar together (or at least if grammar idiots like me can)? Or is this a really, really stupid idea?

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane