I have to confess something. I don't think I can do it, at least not very well.

I was just glancing over the list of titles eligible for this year's Kerth awards, and do you have any idea how hard it's going to be to pick any of them in any category? Sheesh! The sheer quality of these stories is mind-boggling. Just leafing through them makes my brain pucker. There are so many good ones, I don't know where to begin!

Some are familiar, some aren't (and I plan to rectify that deficiency as soon as possible), and others invoke such a strong reaction that I wonder how I could vote for any other story, and then I read another in the same category and it happens all over again, and then I see another and - well, I'm sure you get the idea.

The only ones I couldn't vote for are the ones not in English, and that's only because I don't read French or German. I wish we had the English translations of those stories (which I realize isn't a reasonable request) so I could see just how wonderful I'm sure they are, too.

But I'll muddle through somehow. And all I have to say about the writers on this board is - "Wow!" I learn something about writing every time I log on and check for new posts. You folks - oops, FOLCs - are the greatest!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing