Recently I turned in a fic to the archive and even convinced the GE (Maybe she will even comment.) that I was right - to the point that she thought that perhaps it should be mentioned on the archive that kryptonite should not be capitalized.
As far as I'm aware, the current policy of the Archive is that it's entirely up to the author. We accept both versions, with capital or without. I have a very, very vague memory of this perhaps being mentioned at some point, and I do have a Grammar FAQ update to get to from way back which I've not had time to do yet, but I'm not sure whether there will be any changes made to this policy any time soon.

For myself (talking just as an author here, not in any capacity as a GE or as EIC of the Archive) I tend not to capitalise kryptonite. That I recall (I can't claim to have thought about it in any great detail.). But I know that other authors prefer to use a capital.

Nancy, we'd prefer if you kept private email correspondence private, unless you have the permission of the person who sent you the email to reproduce in public what they've said to you in private.

Giving a general account of what someone's opinion on something was in an email to you - just as you've done in the quoted para above - is fine, but copying and pasting their words verbatim is seen as more of an infringement of their privacy. This especially goes for GE/author correspondence, which we tend to try and treat as confidential as much as possible. Thanks. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers