one thing that pops to mind to add would be that in the ambulance, they'd get the person on a heart monitor. (basically, little stickies stuck to the chest, with lines running to a piece of equipment that shows how the heart is doing. it goes into more specifics than merely listening with a stethoscope). there would also be possibly contact with a hospital en route. maybe the ambulance service is connected to a hospital (example, St. Lawrence Bay Hospital Ambulance or some such) or it might be an independent service (around in my area, Gold Cross Ambulance, for example).

the trauma bay would want to know things like what's the pulse like, any evisceration (internal organs poking out through the wound, but not sure how likely this would be on a gunshot wound), blood pressure, and oxygen saturation would be key (how much oxygen there is circulating in the blood. one paramedic told me once that when it drops below 85, go coffin shopping, but at the medical center where I do transcription, I've typed O2 sats down in the 70s and 60s on the people with lung problems).

I once wrote a medical scene that had someone with a large abdominal laceration taken to a hospital in an ambulance, and I wrote it from the paramedics' point of view. I got on the internet and asked on a bulletin board if someone would like to help me with writing the details. What you might wanna do is start with that, the "basic human information", and then give it a kryptonian tweak. wink

overall, i'd be scared to shoot someone in the stomach. as paul said, the likelihood of nicking the spinal cord, a major blood vessel, etc. is quite high. And even the shoulder can be touchy---get a bit too far down on someone with slighly asymetrical internal organs, and you could nick the aorta. then they'd be dead! go for the thigh, I say. If it was real life, and someone was coming at me with a knife, i'd shoot em in the thigh---big meaty area, cause lots of pain, disable a major limb of the body, but not kill. also possibly break the femur, or even aim for the pelvis and clip a bit of that off.

golly, I'm gruesome..... dizzy