What about a storm? Nothing that threatens the Kent place directly, but something big enough that they can't get a flight out. At first, the flight is delayed. Then it's cancelled. Then all the other flights are cancelled. Then the storm takes out some power lines, and the airport gets shut down. So they decide to go across the state to the other major airport, but the roads are blocked with debris. So then... you get the idea.

I remember, during the big blackout last year, my brother-in-law had a heck of a time getting back home. He was off in Texas on buisiness, and ended up having to rent a car and drive home to New York. (Or maybe he picked up a flight from partway a day or two into the drive? I forget...)

Point being... it's a long way from Kansas to Metropolis. If, for any reason, you can't fly over, it'll take you a couple of days. If the Kents are unharmed and Clark is hurt, he probably won't fly out to meet them, either.

Does that work?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.