Oh, gosh yes, all the time. Started years ago, when one of my heretofore minor characters seized a plot opportunity to take over the galaxy <g> Not my idea, I swear. But it did make the defeat of the bad guy just that much more complete...

What's that? You wanted an example from a fic you might actually have *read*? Oh, okay. A few years back, I wrote Hearts Divided -- a universe where baby Kal-El grew up on New Krypton, and Lois Lane grew up reading Superman comic books. Somewhere along the way, Lois figures out that Kal is *just* *like* Superman. I figured she'd be thrilled. Nope. She was really really ticked at him, that he'd had those abilities and hadn't used them to save people. <shrug> I couldn't really blame her. Oh, and that story was really inspired by one scene/visual; I built the plot backwards and forwards from that one moment... but by the time I got to that point in the story, Lois point-blank refused to go along with my plan.

Whatcha gonna do?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K