Well, not to sound like a provincial American or anything laugh but I was 25 at the time, fairly well-informed, and would *not* have recognized a lot of those names <g> and half the others, I'd have said sounded familiar, but would have to think about where I'd heard them. I'd recommend you stick with USA politicians.

In 1993, Bill Clinton (Democrat) was in his first presidential term, with Al Gore as his VP. Hilary Clinton (D) was making all sorts of headlines. Ronald Reagan & George Bush (Republicans) would have been ex-presidents but still very well known. Newt Gingrich (R) was stirring up a lot of animosity in the House of Representatives. Most of the current Senators were probably there then, too -- Tom Daschle (D) or Jesse Helms (R) were pretty well-known, I think. Senator Ted Kennedy (D) was definitely there. Senator Bob Dole (R) had not yet run for President. Ross Perot (crazy old coot <g>) was still kicking up quite a fuss, I believe.

That's the most I can think of at the moment... and remember, in L&C's world, they had President Garner, so it's clear there are some major differences. So go with whatever works for your story.

PJ smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K