Adding to what I wrote on CC's thread.

I tend to wait till I have at least half the story done before I start posting. In the early days I posted as I wrote but as the stories got longer that put too much extra pressure on me to finish instalments to fit a reasonable posting schedule. In one respect the deadline was helpful in forcing me to write, but since this is not a 'for profit' enterprise it seemed silly to have to put oneself through that extra hardship.

As I've said I write linearly, but I also write episodically. What I mean is, I'm aware of the fact that this will be posted in instalments (or chapters) and gear my scenes accordingly. When I start writing a new part I usually have an idea of how for I want the story to progress in that part. If it turns out that I come up short or go too long for a normal post I either add another scene, or I look for a way to cut back to the previous opportune stopping point.

I never set up any 'what I need' specifications of my super secret mystery beta reader. They just do whatever they think a beta should do as they probably know better what the story needs than I do. Occasionaly I will ask a specific question, and lo and behold, it's usually answered!

Amazing.

Tank (who stills wonders what happened to that darn gremlin)