I've sent you the details privately, Irene, but for all those other curious people... it was "H is for Hubris" -- in an early draft, HG Wells didn't show up until halfway through the story. Irene said something about it being a big surprise, and I started to think that I didn't want it to be such a shock at that point... I don't like to lead readers on to expect one kind of story, and then jerk them around to something completely different halfway through. (Hmm, that probably explains why I don't like non-obvious Tank Endings razz )

So I had to go back and write three or four earlier scenes with Wells, tucked in among my existing scenes. That gave the story a different feel, which I think worked much better. Thanks, Irene! wave

Moral of the story (if there is one) is that just getting audience reactions can be extremely valuable; grammar corrections are not required. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K