i was surfing around, reading stuff for my alt-kerth noms, when i stumbled across this page.

it's a section of one of the eligible fan sites with a list of excerpts that the site's owner found especially funny. i think i've come across it before, but i'm not sure.

it's pretty cool. fun to browse though and see what you remember, or just to read through and enjoy the funny lines. i get the feeling some of them could have used more context, but that's another matter.

the thing is that it started out as a private file, which she then published as part of her site. as a result, many of the excerpts aren't labled. no story title, no author's name. she actually asks for help identifying the ones that aren't labled (should be relatively easy with the archive search function).

the upshot of this is that i'm fairly sure she hasn't asked the authors for permission to repost their work. the most recent excerpt is from one of my stories, and i know she never asked me.

now, personally, i don't mind. i'm flattered that she liked my work enough to include it. otoh, i know some authors might have a problem with it. she's not only reposting their work without permission, but, in some cases, doing so without giving credit. not that she's claiming them as her own, mind you. she's just not crediting.

so, i was wondering... what do people (especially authors) think about this? what, if anything, should be done? i wouldn't want to see the page taken down, but i do believe in credit where it's due.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.