Originally posted by Christina:
I like the "other dimension" idea. It's a good way to circumvent the "powers" problem as dimensionality and timeywimeyness isn't Clark's strong suit (in any version as far as I'm aware.)
Time travel hasn't always been a problem for Superman. In silver age comics, he could fly fast enough to "break the time barrier" and time travel at will. I don't remember him ever taking anyone along with him, but he did throw a giant monkey fast enough to send it back to live with the dinosaurs. (I don't think that Lois would want to travel that way, though. wink ) He also had a time-viewer, which looked like an old-style TV and let him see through time.

There's an old comic where he time-travels to Earth's distant future and gets stuck. He can get there fine on his own, but once he's there he loses his powers because the sun has turned into a red giant.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)